Welcome to Year 6! The move to the top of the school gives the children the opportunity to take more responsibility for their own learning and to develop greater independence in readiness for transition to secondary school. We aim to achieve this by providing a range of opportunities, such as pup advocate roles and house captains, that will enable them to develop organisational skills and a sense of responsibility.
The Year 6 Team
- BBC Bitesize – a wealth of video links, programmes, quizzes and activities related to the aspects of the curriculum.
- BBC Learning Zone – great for history, geography, science and personal development.
- Oak National Academy has ‘maths mastery’ video lessons each week. The lessons cover children in Reception through to Year 10 and are free to access. The resources are easy to access, with no account or log in required.
- Hit the Button – a maths game that is good for number bonds to 10, doubling, halving, multiplication and division
- White Rose Maths Y6 is producing a daily lesson video, with demonstrations and examples for children to complete in their exercise books. This link will take you to the Year 6 page.
- Topmarks Games to reinforce learning.
- BBC Dancemat – a fun way to learn touch typing.
- Pobble 365 – one picture, lots of ideas, every day. The writing opportunities are endless!
- Storyline Online – this wonderful resource streams videos featuring celebrated actors reading children’s books alongside creatively produced illustrations.
- Oxford Owl – including eBooks from Read Write Inc., Oxford Reading Tree, and Project X Alien Adventures. All the eBooks are free to use, but you will need to register or log in. Please note these eBooks are best viewed on a computer, laptop, or tablet.
- The Children’s Poetry Archive– an archive of spoken poetry recordings. Children can listen to poems read out loud. Poems for Nursery to Year 6.
- Once Upon a Picture – Images to inspire and questions for thinking.
- 500 word story – Get some inspiration here for writing.