We’re really happy to welcome you all to year 2. In Year 2, the children start to work more independently. A Key focus will build upon the children’s core skills to get the most out of the year 2 national curriculum and develop a love of learning. We will also aim to have lots of fun along the way with some fantastic topics to study!
The Year 2 Team
- BBC Bitesize – a wealth of video links, programmes, quizzes and activities related to the aspects of the curriculum.
- Oak National Academy has ‘maths mastery’ video lessons each week. The lessons cover children in Reception through to Year 10 and are free to access. The resources are easy to access, with no account or log in required.
- Hit the Button – a maths game that is good for number bonds to 10, doubling, halving, multiplication and division
- Numberblocks – sing along, learn all about numbers and develop key mathematical ideas with the BBC Numberblocks.
- White Rose Maths Y2 is producing a daily lesson video, with demonstrations and examples for children to complete in their exercise books. This link will take you to the Year 2 page.
- Topmarks Games to reinforce learning.
- Phonicsbloom – interactive online phonics games to help teach children the relationship between letters and sounds.
- BBC Dancemat – a fun way to learn touch typing.
- Alphablocks – watch as the letters of the alphabet tell stories and make words using phonics. Play the learning game, watch clips and print colouring pages.
- DfE’s daily phonics lessons – Letters and Sounds lessons are suitable for children who can confidently blend and read words such as ‘stamp’, ‘chair’ and ‘green’. The Phonics Screening Check Revision lessons review Phases 4 and 5 to help children confidently read the words in the Phonics Screening Check.
- Mr Thorne – watch the videos to help with the pronunciation of phonemes.
- Storyline Online – this wonderful resource streams videos featuring celebrated actors reading children’s books alongside creatively produced illustrations.
- Oxford Owl – including eBooks from Read Write Inc., Oxford Reading Tree, and Project X Alien Adventures. All the eBooks are free to use, but you will need to register or log in. Please note these eBooks are best viewed on a computer, laptop, or tablet.
- The Children’s Poetry Archive – an archive of spoken poetry recordings. Children can listen to poems read out loud. Poems for Nursery to Year 6.
- Scratch – The children will be learning to code in computing lessons using scratch. It is free to use with or without an account.