St Mary’s and St Peter’s Church of England Primary School (SMSP) is a mainstream school for children aged 3 to 11 years. The School’s vision statement ‘life in all its fullness’ encapsulates our belief that all within our community should be able to flourish and achieve their full potential. We are supported by Achieving for Children to ensure that all our pupils, regardless of their specific needs, make the best possible progress in school. We strive towards being as inclusive as possible in following the SEN Code of Practice (2014) and towards being able to meet the needs of all of our pupils with SEND.

What are Special Educational Needs?

Children with Special Educational Needs have learning differences that make it harder for them to learn than most children of the same age. These children may need support which is additional to or different from that given to others. The 2014 Code of Practice broadly defines these four areas of SEN as: communication and Interaction; cognition and learning; social, emotional and mental health; sensory and / or physical needs.

What is the admissions process for children with SEND?

Admissions of pupils with SEND are considered on the same basis as those without SEND. The School Admissions Code of Practice requires that all children and young people with SEN to be treated fairly. Admissions authorities:

  • must consider applications from parents of children who have SEN but do not have an EHC plan on the basis of the school’s published admissions criteria as part of normal admissions procedures
  • must not refuse to admit a child who has SEN but does not have an EHC plan because they do not feel able to cater for those needs
  • must not refuse to admit a child on the grounds that they do not have an EHC plan.

What is the school’s approach to teaching children with SEN and Disability?

At SMSP, we embrace the fact that every child is unique. We are an inclusive school and encourage all children to be tolerant and understanding of the varying needs of others. We take an inclusive approach to teaching pupils with SEND and provide for pupils with a wide range needs and disabilities. Skilled teaching staff deliver high quality learning experiences that are appropriately differentiated and personalised and which meet the needs of the majority of the pupils in our school. A minority of pupils require additional special educational provision in order to meet their needs.  This provision is provided under Section 21 of the Children and Families Act (2014).

A child has Special Educational Needs (SEND) if they have a learning difficulty or disability which calls for special educational provision to be made. A child may have these needs either throughout, or at any time during, their school career. A child of compulsory school age has a learning difficulty or disability if they:

  • have significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of others of the same age and stage, or
  • have a disability which prevents or hinders them from making use of educational facilities of a kind generally provided for others of the same age and stage in mainstream schools.

At SMSP we ensure that:

  • The school site is fully accessible to children with a physical disability via ramps and lifts.
  • There are small group rooms for delivery of Year Group and SEN interventions and these are available to all children.
  • The equipment used is accessible to all children regardless of their needs.
  • After school provision is accessible to all children including those with SEND.
  • Extra-curricular activities are accessible for children with SEND.
  • Access arrangements are made for children with SEND who take part in Standard Attainments Tests (SATs) in Year 6.
  • Support is provided for children with SEND who require it at lunchtimes and breaks.
  • Homework is differentiated and home-school communication books are used, if appropriate.

At SMSP each child’s progress is continually monitored by his/her class teacher and this is reviewed formally every term. Information is shared with you regularly at each parent’s evening. At the end of each key stage (i.e. at the end of Year 2 for key stage 1 and Year 6 for key stage 2) the government requires all children to be formally assessed using Standard Assessment Tests (SATS) and the results are published nationally.

If there is cause for concern at any stage, the Class Teacher would contact the child’s parent and discuss the possibility of setting some specific time-limited targets to help to ensure progress. Each Year Group provides intervention groups (‘catch-up’) across a range of areas. If at the end of the monitoring period, the targets were not met, then they might be amended or updated by the Class Teacher, in consultation with parents. After consideration, it might be decided that the child should be entered onto the school’s SEN register as the next best step, and this would be in consultation with parents and the SENCo. At SEN support stage, the child would be able to access both Year Group interventions and if necessary, additional more individual intervention. Examples of SEN support provision might include: ELSA sessions; nurture group; auditory processing group; specialist English or Maths sessions (1:1 or small groups). At SEN support stage, each child has an SEN Support Plan, which is created up by the class teacher, with advice and input from the SENCo. SEN Support Plans are reviewed each term by the class teacher. The effectiveness of the interventions is measured by a child’s achievement of or work towards the specific targets within their individual plan. For children with an EHCP, this is reviewed formally each year (the Annual Review meeting which includes all the adults who are involved in the child’s education) as well as through the SEN Support Plan termly target-setting.

Specialist assessments are carried out by the SENCo if appropriate to inform target setting. A range of diagnostic assessments including the WRIT (Wide Ranging Intelligence Test), YARC Assessment of Reading Accuracy and Comprehension, HAST-2 (Helen Arkell Spelling Test) and PhAB (Phonological Awareness Assessment Battery). Informal assessments are also used, and the need for any assessments is carefully considered for each child.

How will I know if my child has SEN, and how my child is doing in school?

If your child is identified as not making expected progress, the school will set up a meeting to discuss this with you in more detail. The school has a range of methods which are used to provide evidence that children are/are not making the expected progress. These include: book scrutiny; lesson observations; learning walks; tracking systems; screening and diagnostic assessments; pupil progress meetings.

In conversation with parents the school will be able to: listen to any concerns you may have; plan with you any additional support your child may receive; discuss with you any appropriate referrals to outside professionals to support your child’s learning.

Over an agreed period of time, the school will deliver the additional support review the effectiveness of the support and progress towards the agreed outcomes. This is part of the ‘assess, plan, do, review’ cycle which is specified in the 2014 Code of Practice. At the review stage new targets may be set, if required and where appropriate. This information is shared with parents. (See attached SEN identification process chart).

What are the different types of support available for children at St Mary’s and St Peter’s C of E Primary?

Class teacher input via excellent targeted classroom teaching also known as Quality First Teaching:

For your child this would mean that the Class Teacher has the highest possible expectations for your child and all learners in their class. The teaching is based on building on what your child already knows, can do and can understand. Different methods of teaching are in place so that your child is fully involved in the learning in class. This may involve things like using more practical learning. Specific strategies (which may be suggested by the SENCo or external specialists) are in place to support your child to learn. Your child’s teacher will have carefully checked on your child’s progress and will have decided that your child has a gap in their understanding/learning and needs some extra support to help them make the best possible progress. All children in SMSP will receive this as a part of excellent classroom practice when needed.

Specific small group work (sometimes called intervention groups in school):

For your child, this means that your child’s teacher will have carefully checked on your child’s progress and will have decided that your child has a gap in their understanding or learning and needs some extra support to help them make the best possible progress. Programmes of support will be put in place on a short term basis to help your child to ‘catch up’. These may be run in the classroom or in the shared area by either a Teacher or a Teaching Assistant. This type of support is available for any child who has specific gaps in their understanding of a subject/area of learning. 

Highly personalised support, called Special Educational Needs Support:

For your child, this means that, in consultation with you, your child will have been identified by the Class Teacher and SENCo as needing extra support in school in addition to quality first teaching and intervention groups. Specific strategies (which may be suggested by the SENCo or specialist professional) are in place to support your child to learn and make progress.

You may be asked to give your permission for the school to refer your child to a specialist professional such as a Speech and Language Therapist, Occupational Therapist or Educational Psychologist to help the school and yourself understand your child’s particular needs in order to provide more focused support. The specialist professional will work with your child to understand their needs and make recommendations that will be incorporated into their SEN support plan.

Specified Individual support:

This support is usually provided via an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP). Where, despite the school providing several cycles of SEND support, your child has not made expected progress, we will discuss with you the possibility of requesting Statutory Assessment by the Local Authority (LA). If the local authority agrees that your child requires additional support they will agree an Education Health and Care Plan (EHCP). This document will outline the next steps for your child and further additional support they must receive. The LA provides the school with additional funding, ensuring this planned support can be provided. Progress towards the outcomes agreed in the EHCP is reviewed at least annually and all adults involved in supporting your child are invited to attend this.

This type of support is available for children whose learning needs are both significant, long-term and complex.

What support will there be for my child’s overall behaviour and well-being?

SMSP values high standards of behaviour, respect, care for one another and oneself, and these are fostered in and around the whole school community. Rewards and sanctions are used to promote and encourage good behaviour and mutual respect. Everyone within SMSP is valued and treated equally. Children with SEND may have reasonable adjustments applied, and this could include the use of personalised rewards charts, behaviour support plans, play times and areas, and communication methods. In these ways the school hopes to avoid incidences of bullying, school refusal or exclusion. In order to prevent incidences of bullying, all staff are alert for any signs of distress among the children and the adults will listen, assess and act. Supportive strategies which may be used include playground buddying or worry boxes, if children cannot easily articulate their concerns.

What support is there for improving the social, emotional, mental and social development of pupils with SEN?

At SMSP we run several nurture groups across the school. The aim of the groups is to focus on developing the pupil’s social and emotional skills, such as listening and following instructions, turn taking and sharing, feelings, linking thoughts, feelings and behaviour and problem solving skills. A number of students have a Teacher Mentor who speaks with them regularly. A Teacher Mentor is a familiar member of staff who has usually worked with the student previously. We also employ a trained ELSA (Emotional Literacy Support Assistant). ELSA’s are trained by Educational Psychologists to plan and deliver programmes of support to pupils who are experiencing temporary or longer term additional emotional needs. The majority of ELSA work is delivered on an individual basis but sometimes small group work is more appropriate, especially in areas of social and friendship skills.

How is extra support allocated to children?

The school budget includes some funding for supporting children with SEND. The Headteacher decides on the budget for SEND in consultation with the school governors, on the basis of the needs in the school and the funds available. The Headteacher and the SENCo discuss all the information they have about SEN in the school, including: children already receiving extra support; children needing extra support; children who have been identified as not making as much progress as would be expected.  The Headteacher and SENCo decide what resources, training and support are needed via a Subject Leader Plan. All resources/training and support are reviewed regularly and changes are made as needed.

What expertise and training do school staff have in SEND?

The school has a training plan for all staff to improve the teaching and learning of children including those with SEND. This involves whole school training on SEND issues. Individual teachers and support staff attend specialist training courses run by outside agencies that are relevant to the needs of specific children in their class.

The SENCo’s name is Sara Colenso. You can contact her on 020 8943 0476 or Her role includes providing support, strategies and advice to all colleagues regarding the teaching and learning of children with SEND. She delivers some specialist teaching to some children on the SEN register. She attends regular SENCo network meetings, provided by Achieving for Children. Where external agency expertise is required, the school can refer to Speech and Language Therapists, Occupational Therapists and Educational Psychologists.

What advice is available for school staff regarding SEND? How does the school receive that advice?

Part of the SENCo’s role is to co-ordinate support and make referrals for specialist external agency support. This could include Speech and Language Therapy, Educational Psychology, Occupational Therapy, School Nurse, Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS), Primary Mental health Trust (PMHT), Social Care including family support workers, Richmond Young Carers, Hampton Junior School Nurture Provision. Liaison with some external agencies e.g. social services is sometimes led by other members of the school’s Leadership Team.

How does the school know if its SEN provision is effective?

There are several ways in which the SEN support is evaluated e.g. book scrutiny; lesson observations; meetings with parents; discussion of SEN support plan targets/outcomes; learning walks; tracking systems; screening and diagnostic assessments; provision mapping; reports to Governors and pupil progress meetings.

How will I be involved in discussions about, planning for, and involvement in, my child’s education?

Communication and creating opportunities to ask questions are highly valued at SMSP. Children on the SEN register each have an SEN support plan with personalised targets. These are set up by the Class Teacher and shared with parents on a termly basis. This may happen at the regular parent evenings, and it is possible for parents also to meet with the SENCo on these occasions. The SEN Support Plans follow the ‘assess, plan, do, review’ model from the 2014 Code of Practice. Targets (with expected outcomes) are set which are specific and appropriate for each child; they are realistic and achievable in order to motivate the child, and to foster positive self-concept and independence.

Who are the best people to talk to at St Mary’s and St Peter’s C of E Primary about my child’s difficulties?

If you have any concerns about your child’s progress and attainment you should first contact the class teacher. The class teacher will be able to answer many of the questions you have. They can be contacted via the school office, where you can leave a message or arrange a meeting to discuss any issues or concerns you have.

If you continue to be concerned or if you would like to feedback, including compliments and complaints about SEND provision at our school please contact: Year Group Leader, Phase Leader, SENCo or Headteacher. If you would like to speak to the school SEND Governor, they can be contacted via Mrs Allison Peach in the School Office.

Your child’s Class Teacher is responsible for:

  • Quality first teaching that meets the learning needs of all pupils including pupils with SEND. This means planning lessons according to the specific needs of all groups of children in their class, and adapting this on a daily basis, if needed.
  • Using specific resources and strategies to support each child individually and in groups.
  • Checking on the progress of your child and identifying, planning and delivering any additional help your child may need in agreement with the SENCo (SEN support).
  • Writing SEN Support Plans for those children on the SEN register within their class and sharing and reviewing these with parents.
  • Ensuring that all staff working with your child in school are helped to deliver the planned work/programme for your child, so they can achieve the best possible progress. This may involve the use of additional adults, outside specialist help and specially planned work and resource

The SENCo is responsible for:

  • Developing the school’s SEND provision to make sure that all children get appropriate levels of support and high quality first class teaching.
  • Coordinating all the provision for children with special educational needs and / or disabilities (SEND).
  • Ensuring that parents are: involved in supporting your child’s learning; kept informed about the support your child is getting; and involved in reviewing how they are doing.
  • Liaising with external agencies that may be coming into school to help support your child’s learning, for example, the Speech and Language Therapist, Educational Psychologist or Occupational Therapist.
  • Updating the school’s SEN register (a system for ensuring all the SEN needs of pupils in this school are known) and making sure that there are excellent records of your child’s progress and needs.
  • Providing specialist guidance to colleagues in the school so that they can help children with SEND in the school to achieve the best progress possible.
  • Liaising with potential next providers of education to ensure that a smooth transition is planned.

Under the SEN Code of Practice (2014), the school’s Headteacher is responsible for the day to day management of all aspects of the school, including support for children with SEND and for ensuring the Governing Body is kept up to date about any issues in the school relating to SEND. The SEND Governor is responsible for ensuring that the necessary support is made for any child who attends the school who has SEND.

Who are the people providing services to children with SEN at St Mary’s and St Peter’s C of E Primary?

At St Mary’s & St Peter’s C of E Primary we work in partnership with a range of professionals in order to support children with SEN.


Directly funded by school Funded by Achieving for Children – delivered in school Funded by Hounslow and Richmond NHS Trust – delivered in school
SENCo Educational Psychology (EP) Service School Nurse
2 x Part time SEN TA Educational Service for Sensory Impairment (ESSI) Speech and Language Therapy
1 x Full time Emotional Literacy Support Assistant (ELSA) Occupational Therapy

How does the school involve children and young people with SEND in their education and in the decision-making process?

Children at SEN support level are involved in target setting for their SEN Support Plan if appropriate. They will be asked to comment on their strengths and to give examples of specific areas that they would like support with. Children give their opinions in different ways e.g. student questionnaires, self-assessment scaling, setting their own target, if appropriate, school council membership, buddying, mentoring. Achievement is celebrated regularly and the child’s ownership of their success is actively endorsed by all staff. Students with an EHCP are asked for their views prior to their Annual Review. These views are then shared at the meeting, and strategies are put in place to support any areas of need that may arise from the pupil questionnaire.

Who, outside of school, can I turn to for advice and support?

Parent carer forums are local groups of parents and carers of children and young people with disabilities who work alongside local authorities, education, health and other service providers to ensure the services they plan, commission, deliver and monitor meet the needs of children and families. They also offer support and advice to families from a parent point of view.

SEND Family Voices (SFV) provides this service for Kingston and Richmond. Phone: 07469 746145 Email: Website:

Independent Supporters can work with you and your child to ensure that your voices are heard. They offer a free, friendly, flexible service for families and young people. They offer support when you have applied for an education, health and care plan (EHCP) for your child and/or your child has a statement that is transferring to an EHCP. They aim to do this by: supporting you to understand the legal framework underpinning the changes in SEN; helping you to think through and identify what the changes mean for you; attending or supporting you at meetings with the local authority or school. The local organisations that provide this service are: Independent Support Partnership. Phone: 020 8831 6076 Email: Website:

KIDS Richmond and Kingston SEND Information, Advice and Support Service (SENDIASS). In addition to independent support, SENDIASS offers advice across a wide range of subjects. This may include help with personal budgets and how to use the Local Offer plus: support with understanding reports and letters, attending meetings and preparing for assessments and reviews; information and signposting to support services in your area; support with transition and preparing for adulthood; support with and signposting to mediation; advice and support on benefits Phone: 020 8831 6179 Email: Website:

Where can I find information about Local Authority provision for children and young people with SEND?

Information about how Achieving for Children (Richmond-upon-Thames) supports children with SEN can be found on their website: and Their phone number is 020 8547 4722. The Local Offer is a website that provides information on local services and support available for families including children and young people aged 0 – 25 years with special educational needs or disabilities.

How will we support your child when they are leaving this school or moving on to another class?

We recognise that transitions can be difficult for all children and that those with SEND may need additional support and intervention to secure the best outcomes and to make any transition as smooth as possible. All local schools work in partnership to support transitions, and there are local transition days which facilitate this.

If your child is moving to another school, we will contact the school’s SENCo and make sure that he/she knows about any special arrangements or support that may need to be made for your child. With your permission, all records will be passed on as soon as possible.

When your child is moving classes within school, information will be passed on to the new Class Teacher in advance and, in most cases, a planning meeting will take place with the new teacher. If needed, a social story or transition book to support your child’s understanding of moving on, will be made for them.

In Year 6, the SENCo will attend the Primary Transition Day to discuss the specific needs of your child with the SENCo of their secondary school. Your child will have focused learning tasks about aspects of transition to support their understanding of the changes ahead. Where possible, your child will visit their new school on several occasions and, in some cases, staff from the new school will visit your child in SMSP.

In addition, for children with an EHCP, we will hold the Year 5 Annual Review at the end of the Autumn Term or beginning of the Spring Term to plan for your child’s needs in secondary school. We can also hold the Year 6 Annual Review at the end of the Spring Term or beginning of the Summer Term and invite the SENCo of the named secondary school to attend.

How should complaints regarding SEND provision be made?

At SMSP, we strongly advocate regular, clear and supportive dialogue with all parents and carers. We are working with you to deliver the best possible educational outcomes for your children, for their future achievements and well-being. If you have a complaint about SEND provision, please contact the SENCo, and/or your child’s Class Teacher to arrange a meeting. You can access the SMSP Complaints Policy via the school website:

Who should I contact in school for further information and support re SEND?

The SENCo’s name is Sara Colenso and you can contact her on 020 8943 0476 or You can access the SMSP Inclusion Policy via the school website:

This SEND information Report was published in March 2020 and will be reviewed in September 2020.