Who are we?
The Friends is the name we give to the Parent Teachers’ Association (PTA) at SMSP. If you are a parent of a child at SMSP or a member of staff at the school, you’re automatically a member of the Friends.
The current co-chairs are:
(PHOTO OF US)
- Carla Maroussas
I have 2 boys in the school in years 2 and 4 and I’m passionate about fundraising for a cause that directly impacts the school and benefits the children. I also love the social side The Friends provides and emphasise all are welcome to meetings and events. My favourite event would have to be the Christmas Fair, closely followed by the Summer Fair!
- Genevieve Harper
I have two daughters at SMSP in year 4 and year 1. I love the school and watching my children thrive there, and so am happy to help support SMSP by being part of the Friends – I’m also a natural born organiser so it was inevitable! I enjoy all the events, but my favourite has to be School of Rock.
- Alex Brown
I have twin boys currently in Year 5 and am delighted to be involved with the friends of SMSP. When I am not on the sideline of a rugby or football pitch, I love being involved with the brilliant events run by the reps. My personal favourite is the School of Rock!
- Gillian Annette (Treasurer)
I have a boy in Year 3 and a girl in Year 2 and I knew as soon as they started that the Friends was something I wanted to get involved with. I love my role as Treasurer as it allows me to use my own skills to help raise vital funding for the children across a wide variety of events and fundraising activities. My personal favourite is the Quiz Night as it brings out the competitive spirit in everyone!
What do we do?
The main aim of the Friends is to raise funds to purchase equipment and provide facilities for the children that are not normally paid for by the Local Authority. But it is just as important that we have fun doing this and that parents get to meet other parents and have a great time!
We organise two big events each year – the Summer Fair and Christmas Fair – and a host of other events including some very popular social events such as our annual Quiz Night and School of Rock. This year we have a brand new event, a Comedy evening. Details coming soon!
We really welcome input directly from parents who may not have been involved with the Friends before or are new parents to SMSP. If you have a great idea, let us know!
When do we meet?
The Friends meet twice a term to discuss events, fund raising and spending. The Co-Chairs oversee the organisation and our meetings are attended by Mr. Logan or Mrs. Bateman. However, we are a very open organisation and rely on contributions from all our parents. You have an open invitation to come to the meetings, get involved and volunteer for as many of the fund raising events as you would like.
The dates for the Friends’ meetings are on the school calendar on the website.
What can I do to help?
We need you to get involved! You don’t need any special skills, just enthusiasm and be willing to help raise some money for the school. Do you have a link to a local business who can help with event sponsorship or donate a raffle prize? Or are great at planning and marketing events? Every event is organised and run by parents, so however you can help, please do!
Who decides where the money is spent?
In previous years the Friends have purchased a mini bus for the school, a large number of laptops, playground equipment and many, many other excellent resources for the school. Last year we funded the purchase and installation of the new state of the art C Boards in to some of the classrooms. This year we hope to carry on the excellent fundraising and ensure every classroom has access to this wonderful resource.
These of course, may be revised in the course of the year. So do come along to the meetings to be part of the process of deciding where the money should go.
How much do we raise?
We had an amazingly record year last year and raised over £30k through sales and events. That’s a fantastic achievement and is down to the hard work and dedication of all the parents, staff, governors, children and Friends of the school.
Dates for our events
The table below sets out the events for 2016/2017. We allocate a year group to have overall responsibility for each event. However, there is loads of support on hand both from committee and former committee members and information in our drop box facility.
Event Year Organising Date
Comedy Night Yr 5 18th November
Christmas Fair Yr 2 10th December
School of Rock Reception 27th January
Curry & Quiz Night Yr 6 24th March
Bingo Yr 4 28th April
SATS Disco /Film night Yr1 12th May
Summer Fair Yr 3 1st July
What does a class rep do?
Being a class rep is an important and rewarding role. Class reps help build a sense of community among the class parents, and they can help provide the link between the parents and the Friends.
What a Class Rep does:
- Being an interface between parents, the committee and school and reporting back from Friends meetings
- Keeping your fellow parents up to date on up coming school meetings, trips, MUFTI days, special events and requests from the teachers (for example glue sticks, tissues and boxes for junk modelling)
- Maintaining Class Lists – This involves keeping (and circulating) an up to date list of all the children in the class and their contact details. It is very important to get everyone’s permission to be added to the list. This is a very handy list for everyone in the class to have, for everything from playdates to emergency pick-up help!
- Organising Socials for Parents – Class coffee mornings and parents’ evenings are always good fun and the most effective way of helping parents get to know each other and generating a good team spirit in your class.
- Year Group Event – Every year group is allocated an event and class reps are responsible for coordinating these events.
- Teacher’s Presents – If your class decides it wants to give the teacher and the teaching assistant a Christmas card or end of year present, the class reps will organise this.
- Next Year’s Reps – Towards the end of the year, find at least one (preferably two) lovely volunteer(s) to rep the next year!
We welcome your feedback and input directly. The co-chairs of the Friends are Carla Maroussas, Genevieve Harper and Alex Brown. You can contact us on email@example.com and one of us will try and meet you in the playground or at the next meeting.